WW2 ROYAL NAVY UNOPENED 8 Oz TOBACCO TIN
Brown & Williamson was founded in Winston, North Carolina, as a partnership of George T. Brown and his brother-in-law Robert Lynn Williamson, whose father was already operating two chewing tobacco manufacturing facilities. Initially, the new partnership took over one of the elder Williamson's factories. In February 1894, the new company, calling itself Brown & Williamson, hired 30 workers and began manufacturing in a leased facility. In 1927, the Brown and Williamson families sold the business to London-based British American Tobacco Company. The business was reorganized as the Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corporation.
This is an unopened 8 Oz tin of tobacco that was issued to Sailors of the Royal Navy as part of their rations. Dating from post 1927 when Brown and Williamson was purchased by the British American Tobacco Corporation and renamed The Brown and Williamson Tobacco Corporation. Most of the original label remains as shown in the images. Nice conversation piece.