WADE AND BUTCHER JACK/CLASP KNIFE
Wade and Butcher was a tradename of the W & S Butcher Co. Brothers William & Samuel Butcher started the company in Sheffield in the 1820s. Not too long after they had a partner named Robert Wade who was the New York based importer of W & S Butcher knifes for the US. This was one of the main markets for the company's goods prior to the introduction of the McKinley tarifs of 1891. Not all W & S B knives are marked Wade and Butcher. In 1921 the American company Durham-Duplex bought W & S B and used it for the production of their safety razors as well as other forms of cutlery. W & S Butcher ceased production in Sheffield in 1959.
Dating from around WW2 this clasp measures 8.5 inches open with a blade length of 3.5 inches. Good condition all round and still retains the lanyard ring.