WW2 GERMAN LUFTWAFFE ANTI-AIRCRAFT FLAK BADGE
Designed by Wilhelm Ernst Peekhaus and instituted for use on January 10, 1941, this was awarded originally on a point basis, with 16 being the necessary requirement. Batteries successful in downing an aircraft were awarded four points when the action was without the support of other batteries, and two points when it was a joint effort. Searchlight and sound detection crews were also eligible. Requirements were modified as the war progressed, and the badge was awarded following five air defense actions that proved to be unsuccessful, and after three when aircraft was downed.
This particular example is a late-war zinc version, its design shows a central 8.8cm anti-aircraft gun, which is surrounded by an oval oak leaf wreath with a large Luftwaffe eagle on top. The details show just a little wear. The reverse retains the vertical round pin. The hinge is a barrel style with the clasp being flat wire soldered directly onto the badge.