GERMAN CONDOR LEGION WOUND BADGE AND CERTIFICATE
The German Condor Legion was a unit composed of volunteers from the German Luftwaffe and the German Army to fight with Spanish Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War from July 1936 to March 1939. The Condor Legion developed methods of terror bombing and tank tactics that helped the German forces when the second world war started in 1939. The Condor Legion returned to Germany with a hero's welcome.
The Condor Legion who fought in Spain in 1936-1939 did not have a wound badge, or any other award during the conflict. Upon their return to Germany after the victory of the forces guided by Gen. Franco, however, Condor Legion, or Spanish Wound Badge, was established on May 22, 1939. Its regulation stated that it was created “..as a recognition badge to German Volunteers who had received wounds on action in the fight again Bolshevism during the 1936-1939 Spanish War of Liberation”.
The Condor Legion Wound Badges were exactly like the World war One Wound Badges with the addition of a Swastika on the Imperial Helmet. They were always hollow backed with the Swastika high on the helmet and sharply defined. All three classes were renewed, but the gold wound badge was not presented, as there was apparently no one that qualified to receive it. It was possible for members of the Wehrmacht who were later wounded in the Second World War to receive the higher class of the award based on the possession of the Spanish type. Only 182 black badges and 1 silver badge were awarded after the civil war.
This Wound Badge is a typical example with a hollow back. The accompanying certificate was awarded to Friedrich Wilhelm Hertzhoff who was injured on the 12 December 1937.