WW2 GERMAN U-BOAT PLAQUE
German submarine U-226 was a Type V11C U-Boat that served with the Kriegsmarine during World War II. Laid down on 1 August 1941 as yard number 656 at F. Krupp Germaniawerft in Kiel, she was launched on 18 June 1942 and commissioned on 1 August under the command of Oberleutnant Zur See Albrecht Gänge.
She began her service career in training with the 5th U-Boat Flotilla. She was transferred to the 6th U-Boat Flotilla on 1 January 1943.
The boat was a member of eleven Wolfpacks. She carried out three patrols and sank one ship. She was sunk by British warships on 6 November 1943.
The plaque is made from base metal on a Black Oak base board. The main panel shows a U-Boat surfaced surrounded by a Laurel Wreath. With a dedication panel underneath to the U226.
U-Boat plaques are highly collectable.